Saturday, February 19, 2011

That which you use to survive may also be what kills you--food in America

I have become obsessed and disgusted by food sold and consumed in America. When I go to the grocery store, I build up with frustration seeing the aisles full of dead hormone-ingested animals, pesticide covered vegetables, and the ridiculously over-priced organic products. Why can’t we have animals free of hormones and fresh food not full of preservatives? The government and the Food and Drug Administration are far too liberal with their regulations. I understand by having less restrictions, food can be made for cheaper and the majority of the population can be economically “happy.” But look at the prevalent diseases spread--E. coli, obesity, among others--because of these "advanced" agricultural practices. According to the 2006 New York Times Article, "The Vegetable-Industrial Complex," our food supply sickens 76 million Americans every year, putting more than 300,000 of them in the hospital, and killing 5,000."  Is saving some money really worth poisoning Americans? If regulations were stricter, than healthier food would cost less as demand for it would rise. It works for Europe, why would it not with us? I feel so adamant about not supporting the mainstream American food system that I sacrifice the little money I have to buy organic and hormone- free food.
The environment should also be taken into consideration when food is produced and packaged. As I go down the grocery store aisles, I see how much waste will be created after people make their purchases. I see it, but the inevitable trap makes me buy food all packaged in plastic and cardboard boxes. It is not preventable. One of the only things I feel I can do to curb the environmental impact of my consumption is bringing my own grocery bags to the store.  I also go to the farmers market sometimes to get healthier food and support the environment (less environmental costs due to limited transportation and production). This however is minuscule, when taking into consideration all of the waste my purchases create.
                             I would have to say that out of the food or drinks that I have consumed in the past few days, the one with the most environmental impact would be imported wine. I threw a party last night and bought many bottles that were all imported. This has tremendous environmental impact as the wine is produced abroad and flown to America, then driven by trucks around the country. When buying the bottles, it did not even cross my mind how much environmental impact they had. I will definitely take this into account next time when buying wine and other food and drinks that contribute highly to environmental degradation. Hopefully Americans can take some small steps like the ones I have taken to help the environmental situation that is in dire need.

No comments:

Post a Comment