Monday, April 18, 2011

Looking Back at International Environmental Politics

Coming into SIS 388 as a senior i saw this class as just another roadblock in my way of graduation. I needed another policy class and i was intrigued by a class that provided both science and politics in the same course. After the first week of class we had the assignment of finding out our individual carbon footprint, after that class i was hooked. I enjoyed many of the in class assignments as well as discussions. There aren't that many classes that I've taken where the Professor allowed the class to fully be open and discuss there views on different environmental topics in this matter and even when people differed in views i learned a lot from both sides. The one thing i learned about the most and found interesting was human consumption on natural resources. Finding out how much we consumed after WW2 compared to now; and then to see charts on future predictions based on statistics struck the heart. Because environmental problems may not seem so big now but when were older and have kids we'll still be dealing with it and will have our kids to worry about while bringing them up in a world where resources might be scarce and the weather patterns will not be stable. This course slowly became probably the best course I've taken in my college years both as a student in New York and here at American.

I was able to use class readings and lectures for my environmental group in my Government class where we needed to pick a topic in the environment/energy and find solutions that the U.S government could use to help better the situation. I went onto portray Professor Nicholson in a class of 50 students where a few of his former and current students were in as well. Though my concentration was Islamic Studies at AU and will be in my future i plan on combining my knowledge in this class with Islam as i get older. Acknowledging environmental problems, respecting our surroundings, and monitoring our consumption are all things that the Muslim world can learn as well as implement into their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment